List Protocols. WAS: Re: [opensuse] Need help doing a batch conversation lf - cr/lf
  • From: Randal Jarrett <rsj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 08 Dec 2007 16:22:41 -0500

On Fri, 2007-12-07 at 21:11 -0500, Bob S wrote:
On Friday 07 December 2007 12:54:54 pm Randal Jarrett wrote:
It is nice that you have your personal preference.

However, please allow me to give you some advice. I am not a "list police"
or
whatever. Many new subscribers don't know the protocol of this list. That
is, that in this list we prefer bottom posting. We don't even look at the
top. We look at the flow of information in a logical mmanner.When we reply we
trim unneccessary information and bottom post. That is the way it has been
for many years and will always remain so.

You are only hurting yourself with top-posting. There are several hundred
subscribers on this list and a great deal of them are very knowledegable
old-timers with a vast amount of expertise and experience who are here to
help people with their favorite distro. They get tired of telling the new
people to bottom post. So what do these very knowledgeable people do when
they see a top post? "Plonk" the request is deleted. No reply from someone
who can help you.

You seem like an intelligent courteous person. Do us the courtesy of
following
the protocol of this list. Your choice.

Bob S

I never said that I wouldn't bottom post.
After my post about my preference I read the List FAQs about
bottom posting. I will use it from now on. I really wasn't
trying to stir up a hornet's nest. (I did that once in my younger
years and learned my lesson).

I did notice that several members replied about the top/bottom subject
but neglected the list protocol about changing the subject line when
going off topic in the message. :-)

I won't direct any comments to any individuals about picking one sin to
preach about while committing others. ;-)

Randal

--

Randal Jarrett <rsj@xxxxxxxxx>
RSJ Consulting, Inc