Re: [opensuse] what is file "/etc/aliases.YaST2save"
  • From: "Joe Morris (NTM)" <Joe_Morris@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2007 21:34:00 +0800
On 12/05/2007 09:14 PM, David Bolt wrote:
On Wed, 5 Dec 2007, Roger Hayter wrote:-

<snip>

My understanding was that yast did not actually do anything with the
"aliases.YaST2save" file, it just saves it in case it breaks something
during an update, so that you can manually look in it to see what you
had before the update. I could, of course, be wrong.

AFAIK, if YaST2 is used to generate a file, in this case /etc/aliases
and the original file has been modified by the user, YaST2 saves the
file with the changes it's made to a file with the .YaST2save extension.

I believe it is similar to rpmsave files. It is the original file saved
with the YaST2save (meaning a backup created by YaST2). Yast does
modify the original config file. SuSEconfig similarly does this as
well. I do think you are correct though that it only does this when you
have edited the file independently of Yast.

--
Joe Morris