[opensuse] vmware and fake scsi devs
  • From: kanenas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2007 15:38:26 -1000
It seems there is one major downside to all the disks being "called" scsi
devices in 10.3. There are applications that take /dev/scx literally as a
scsi disk x. One such application is vmware. This ended being a major problem
when i tried to use a raw partition as a physical vmware disk on my laptop.
The actual disk is an ide device, but the first partition in my Suse 10.3
install is called /dev/sda1 and that is what it passes to vmware as the
actual physical disk. Vmware has for a long time stated that it does not boot
from physical scsi devices and thus it keels over when it sees that the raw
device is scsi.
Is there an easy way to pass the actual partition type to vmware (workstation
4.x or server 1.x) in 10.3 or do i go back to 10.2?
thanks,
d.