Re: [opensuse] possible kernel panic on install attempts
  • From: "Clark P. Case" <cpcase@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 03 Dec 2007 01:51:23 -0500
On Mon, 2007-12-03 at 01:24 -0500, Felix Miata wrote:
On 2007/12/03 00:34 (GMT-0500) Clark P. Case apparently typed:

Thanks for the insight. I have tried both PCI slots (they are the only
once available. There are no AGP or other slots. I also tried with the
bios set to disable the onboard as well as leave the onboard enabled
making the PCI VGA card a secondary. In addition, the bios allows you to
specify which graphics source to initialize on. I have tried both
onboard and pci slot.

I am thinking you are right about reporting it as a kernel issue. I have
tried an old ATI Radeon 7000 and an Nvidia 64mb card from about 4 years
ago as well as a couple of other cards. All yield the same results. I
have tried both the GUI installs as well as the text only installs. I
was able to get Debian 3.1 installed with much trouble but it booted
into the command line only. I am not sure if I simply did not install it
properly of if the disk was setup to install that way by default (It was
a disk distributed by some magazine so it was not the official ISOs.

How do I go about getting the full text that shows during the boot
attempt? The OS is not installed so the messages file is not created,

In SUSE and some other distros, the kernel option "splash=0" will eliminate
the GUI boot nonsense and show the boot messages.

All I have to work with is the text from the boot attempt and after it
fails I am unsure how to even scroll upwards to read the full report if
that is even possible.

Anyway, I have a strong feeling that I am not going to be able to
resolve this and will have to use the cards in other machines and get
new mainboards that don't have this eccentric problem....

I'm puzzled. IIUC, you wrote that the installation kernel panic happens only
when gfxcards are installed in the PCI slots, but you also wrote "I have been
running openSuse 10.0 to 10.2 without issues." Which OS versions work with
the onboard video, all? If so, you should be able to install your choice
using onboard video, then use the installed system to capture any logs that
may be created by trying to boot after installing a gfxcard in a PCI slot.
I'm sure for the filing of a kernel bug to do you any good you'll need more
data for the bug than you've provided in this thread. I'd expect whatever
logs are created ought to be accessible through a BSD boot if you left that
installed, or by pulling the card and booting knoppix or some other live CD,
or the installed system.

One other option is installing from SUSE Factory http/ftp, which would
qualify you to discuss the problem on the opensuse-factory mailing list and
maybe get a developer involved.
--
" Our Constitution was made only for a moral
and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to

Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Correct, all distros will install with the cards removed and relying on
the onboard only. You are also correct that I should be able to capture
the error logs if the system is installed and I then place the card in
and boot. I am just not sure if there will be any differences with a
boot failure on an installed system versus the boot process of an
installer. I suppose it is the same, I am not sure, I am user first and
not versed in the diagnostics required so your help has been valuable.

I will try to see what I can get and check with the kernel lists and
move forward as you suggest.. if anyone has any other insight and comes
upon this thread feel free to jump in with your perspective. I am just
trying to understand this mostly....

Cheers...