Re: [opensuse] Second Try: Redesign of YaST Control Center
  • From: Aaron Kulkis <akulkis00@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2007 07:57:44 -0500
Billie Walsh wrote:
On 11/28/2007 Will Stephenson wrote:
KDE builds on Qt. KDE is Qt plus a bunch o'stuff, but you can still write
standalone Qt applications.
GNOME builds on GTK. GNOME is GTK plus a bunch o'stuff, but you can
still write standalone GTK applications.

Thanks for the explanation. That clarifies some of what I "knew" but
didn't really "know".

When YaST2 was designed, SUSE favoured KDE, so standalone Qt was the
choice
for a GUI-independent GUI frontend to YaST2. On the KDE side we show the
YaST2 modules in the (freedesktop.org) standard menu structure, and
used to
show them in Control Centre as well. Personally, I hope we will be
able to
get them back in KDE4's System Settings.

HTH

Will

Actually, my idea for integrating it into the menu structure was only
about half serious. I really expected to get blasted for it. BUT, in a
way it does sort of make sense. Through both these "new YaST" threads I
have seen a lot of people that aren't happy with where things are. SO,
they could make their own menus and put things where they want. "YaST"
is just a container, much like a menu, that opens other
"applications/modules" to actually do what your trying to do. In modern
machines the minor memory use to keep an unused window open is not a
problem but why does it need to stay open after you have the module your
going to use opened up.

Personally, I *LIKE* that behavior.
Usually when I open up YaST, I'm going to do multiple things.
I might PLAN on only doing one thing...but I usually take a
look around -- is there something I was thinking of tweaking
last week, and just forgot???... I poke around a bit to remind
myself if there is anything else I should play around with.

And when I've just installed a system, then I probably end up
making adjustments to about 25% of the things I can do in YaST.
I DEFINITELY want YaST Control Center staying open until I
explicitly close it.

It's done it's job. When you open an application

Unless I want to open up one module, and then another module,
and then another module. Then it would be a big annoyance to
be forced to keep re-executing YaST Control Center.

with the KDE/Gnome/**** menu system the menu goes back to sleep till you
need it again. Imagine what a mess your desktop would be if the menus
were always hanging around with all the sub menus open [ would look like
the desktop on my better half's computer with her hundreds of icons
everywhere - UGH *<[:oP ] YaST, as a container, is almost superfluous.

Now don't anyone jump me for knocking YaST. IMHO, YaST is probably one
of the very best things about OpenSuSE. I've played around with several
other Linux distros and no one else has anything close. It's a fantastic
tool. My kudos to those that designed it and maintain it. They did/do a
wonderful job.