Re: [opensuse] Second Try: Redesign of YaST Control Center
  • From: Will Stephenson <wstephenson@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2007 12:19:18 +0100
On Wednesday 28 November 2007, Billie Walsh said:
I just knew I read somewhere that KDE went with QT and Gnome went with
something else. I sure as heck don't know a whole lot and I'm not sure I
understand half what I know. *<[:oD I remember that in the first post of
this "Second Try" QT was mentioned so my poor feeble brain associated
that with KDE. I tried both when I first started experimenting with
Linux and stuck with KDE. I really haven't used anything else except for
a few short forays into CLI.

KDE builds on Qt. KDE is Qt plus a bunch o'stuff, but you can still write
standalone Qt applications.
GNOME builds on GTK. GNOME is GTK plus a bunch o'stuff, but you can still
write standalone GTK applications.

When YaST2 was designed, SUSE favoured KDE, so standalone Qt was the choice
for a GUI-independent GUI frontend to YaST2. On the KDE side we show the
YaST2 modules in the ( standard menu structure, and used to
show them in Control Centre as well. Personally, I hope we will be able to
get them back in KDE4's System Settings.

Desktop Engineer
KDE Team