Re: [opensuse] Second Try: Redesign of YaST Control Center
  • From: ianseeks <ianseeks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 23:44:02 +0000

I'm too tired to list all changes i was thinking about but here's a few ideas
to throw into the pot - maybe a bit old hat or MS centric - Could all the
main sections in the left column be Tabs?

We identified a number of problems with that old control center:

(1) There are too many icons in there - way more that can easily be
navigated.

Yep, merge a couple of sections and only show icons for items installed. e.g.

Miscellaneous section - rename to System Logs:
Move "Release Notes" into the Software section
Move "Vendor Driver CD" to Hardware/Drivers section

Software Section:
Group the "Online Update" "Automatic Online Update" and Online Update Config"
programs together

Hardware Section - rename to Hardware/Drivers:
Move Network Devices into Hardware section
Don't show icons for hardware that is not in the system, create an "Add
hardware" icon that lauches a module that lists all the possibities

System section - rename to System Services:
Move "Network Services" into this section
Don't show icons for services which are not in the system, create an "Add
Service" icon that lauches a moule that lists all the possibities
Group related icons together

Security and Users Section - Split into 2 sections a) Security and Remote
mangement b) User management:
Move "Novell AppArmor" into the Security section
Move "VNC" into the Security section
Move "Kerberos" into the Security section

User Section:
User Management
Group Management
Sudo (?)

(2) The groups don't always match users' expectations.
(E.g., is firewall more related to security or to network?)

(3) It's hard for newbies to figure out what does what.

(3a) Sometimes it's hard to figure out the difference between modules.

(4) It's often enough hard for expert to find things.

(5) It's not exactly pretty.

Back when we designed that control center, we figured it would do its job
fairly well. But that was when we only had a small number of modules. And
eye candy was less readily available from the underlying toolkits. Time has
changed since then. I counted no less than 119 YaST-related .desktop files
on my machine (not counting the groups files). That corresponds to 119
icons that have to be presented somehow. That just doesn't scale any more
with the old control center approach.

So in the ideal case we would like to have a completely new approach.
This is what that "radical change" was all about.

Maybe there is a different way than just placing a lot of icons in a window
(with or without groups) and let the user figure out how to deal with it.
Carefully taking care, of course, of all kinds of users, newbies as well as
experts.

Failing that, maybe somebody has a good idea how to present the modules
traditionally in an icon view, but in a way that does not overwhelm
everybody when the window opens (the "show all at once" approach) or that
leaves the user searching for the right module at most times (the icon
groups or even icon tree approach).

This is what that was all about. This is what we ask your opinions for.

CU
--
Stefan Hundhammer <sh@xxxxxxx> Penguin by conviction.
YaST2 Development