Re: [opensuse] Redesign of YaST Control Center
  • From: James Knott <james.knott@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2007 14:48:07 -0500
Greg Freemyer wrote:
On Nov 23, 2007 2:17 PM, James Knott <james.knott@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Bryen wrote:
On Fri, 2007-11-23 at 14:02 -0500, James Knott wrote:

Bart Whiteley wrote:

3. YaST tools to include:

a) NX server and client:
Make available an easy to use YaST tool to integrate the OSS FreeNX
server and client. Optional also the non-OSS but free NoMachine NX
server and clients. This way it will be easy and fast to do remote login
an run Xapps with speed.

Yes, please! I'd like to cast a vote for this as well.

What would that obtain that can't be had with ssh -X?

Umm... gonna take a wild stab at this. Awareness of such a command line
option? The whole point of Yast is to give an administrator who DOESN'T
know such an option existed on the command line a way to see it visually
in Yast. There's nothing wrong with doing it the CLI way, but there
are people out there who don't know all there is to know about CLI
options and that's where YAST comes in.

Ssh -X will take you to a command line on a remote host, where you can
then start Yast and have it appear on the local desktop. I've even done
it from Windows.

I suspect you've done it from Cygwin not generic Windows. (Or some
other tool was used to provide basic X-Server functionality.)

Personally I prefer to have an entire remote desktop, not just the
ability to initiate X-based programs via the command-line.

FreeNX provides you with that. I know it works from Windows, and I
assume it works from Linux.

OTOH, getting FreeNX running with SuSE today is a pain in the butt.
Especially if you want to require the client have a secure private
key.

Greg
Xming also allows a full remote desktop.