Re: [opensuse] Removing hardware safely
  • From: joe <joe@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 03 Nov 2007 14:15:06 -0700

Anders Johansson wrote:
On Saturday 03 November 2007 18:23:47 joe wrote:
Patrick Shanahan wrote:
* Bryen <suseROCKS@xxxxxxxxx> [11-03-07 13:08]:
I have two dvd-rw drives on this box (10.3) and need to take one out.
What is the recommended procedure for safely removing this ide device?
init 6
I think "init 0" would be a better choice here -

Given that init 6 is reboot, yes, I agree :)

Or "poweroff", which is easier to remember

For the most part correct, but if the removal of the device caused a
re-naming of remaining devices,

That shouldn't happen in 10.3, the devices should all get unique names which
should be static no matter what you put in or remove

True, but up to 10.2 suse was still using the old style device names, and
that's actually still an option in 10.3.

Joe