Re: [opensuse] SuSE 10.3 Cannot see USB memory stick nor the CD drive ...
  • From: Sloan <joe@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 01 Nov 2007 16:46:34 -0700
Maura Edelweiss Monville wrote:
I am desperately trying to figure out why SuSE 10.3
cannot see either the USB memory stick nor the CD
drive.

As root I have read the last 100 lines of the
/var/log/messages file when I plug my memory stick
into the USB drive. I'm copying it in the end of this
messge
Appearantly it is detected but I cannot access it from
my desktop.
No icon is generated nor entry in SuSE "Computer"
panel.

Please, can someone help me with that ?

I am guessing that you are not being ignored, but rather than people are
baffled by your report since the portable devices always "just work" for
them.

I will confess, did have a similar situation once, where plugging in
portable media brought no response. It turns out I had inadvertently
clicked "do nothing" and "do this from now on" in the little kde dialog
box that would pop up whenever a cd, a camera, or a flash drive was
plugged in. The fix was to go into the kde control center, then select
peripherals->storage media, and re-enable the appropriate actions. After
that, I started getting the popups when things were plugged in.

Joe