Re: [opensuse] Turning off the hard disk
  • From: Jan Engelhardt <jengelh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2007 20:42:44 +0100 (CET)

On Oct 30 2007 14:27, Aaron Kulkis wrote:
Aaron Kulkis schrieb:
In reply on 13 June 2007 Henning Paul wrote

This [Linux without harddisk] is possible indeed....
Here in our institute we do similar things. All
computers run without hard disk.

That's a diskless workstation, running off of
other disk drives on a file server which is completely
different.

We were doing that with Sun workstations at Purdue
in the 1980's. But performance sucks.

And he asserted that 1 Gb RAM would be sufficient for running two or
three applications like Firefox or Thunderbird in a ramdisk.

Depends on how the user actually uses those applications.

I often open several web pages, but don't get around
to reading them until days later....meanwhile, still
doing all of the other web-browsing activity that I
would still be doing otherwise.

I have 2 GB on my laptop, and I'm using another 1 GB
of swap right now.

The corresponding key word for having a kernel _not_
using the hd regularly is 'laptopmode'. I do hope that there are people
here in this group knowing a bit more about that than either you or me.

I know as much that repeatedly spinning it up and down is not good either.
So I better let it run and tune it so that it does not do too much activity.