Re: [opensuse] Turning off the hard disk
  • From: Anders Johansson <ajh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2007 19:24:24 +0100
On Tuesday 30 October 2007 14:38:39 Albrecht Mehl wrote:
I would like to use my opensuse 10.2 system on a MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum
board with a Hitachi SATA 160 GB HDS722516VLSA80 hard disk mostly
without the hd running, i.e. I imagine copying the files needed for my
daily work at the beginning of a session to a ram disk and then working
from there. At the end of such a script the hd will be turned off. But
... I do not know how to accomplish this turning off. So for hints as
detailled as possible as to how to turn off the hd in a script I would
be very grateful.

I'm not sure if it works for SATA drives, but there is a tool for IDE drives
called hdparm, and

hdparm -Y /dev/<device>

will put the disk in sleep mode. The man page says it should work with SATA as
well, but I have never tried it. I did try it once with an IDE drive, and
then it worked well

Anders

--
Madness takes its toll