Re: [opensuse] Turning off the hard disk
  • From: Albrecht Mehl <mehl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2007 19:12:43 +0100

Aaron Kulkis schrieb:
Albrecht Mehl wrote:
The very nature of your question reveals that you are not very
experienced with Linux, or Unix machines in general...and thus,
don't have any idea of how complicated it would be to do what
you propose.

This can be true, but your ideas put forward below are not the whole
truth either.

In short, you're essentially asking how to modify your
car so that the engine can be removed very quickly while
your car is moving, so that you can drive around town in
stop-and-go traffic with no engine.

I put a similar question to the newsgroup

de.comp.os.unix.apps.kde

In reply on 13 June 2007 Henning Paul wrote

This [Linux without harddisk] is possible indeed....
Here in our institute we do similar things. All
computers run without hard disk.

And he asserted that 1 Gb RAM would be sufficient for running two or
three applications like Firefox or Thunderbird in a ramdisk.

The corresponding key word for having a kernel _not_
using the hd regularly is 'laptopmode'. I do hope that there are people
here in this group knowing a bit more about that than either you or me.

A. Mehl
--
Albrecht Mehl
Schorlemmerstr. 33