Re: [opensuse] 64 bit vrs 32 bit advantages speed etc.
  • From: BandiPat <penguin0601@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2007 11:36:46 -0400
On Tuesday 30 October 2007, Robert Lewis wrote:
I recently bought a 64 bit machine and have 10.3 loaded . It seems
very fast.

I am trying to appraise if the advantages of having some software not
work because of driver issues is worth it.

Has anyone run benchmarks on an identical system with 32 bit vrs 64
bit?

Do we have a list of software that is known not to work on 64-bit?
Any defined group tracking this and championing gettin the remainder
fixed.

I know this is a generalized question but I am just trying to
appraise the gain vrs pain of deciding to stay with 64-bit ?

Cheers,
Bob

============
Bob,
Maybe you could load a second 32bit install to test the differences you
see on your system. What you are asking is a question many of us that
haven't yet moved to 64bit systems are interested in. From the many
emails here and elsewhere, I've come to the conclusion it's just better
to use 32bit for the moment. It bothers me that so much software,
drivers & plugins are still only 32 when 64 has been out so long. Why
are these things taking so long to convert or why are they being so
slow about building 64 bit apps?

Moving to full 64bit should indeed be a better choice, you would think,
yet many of apps & plugins are still 32bit only.

It's a vexing question, but for now I'm staying with 32bit.

regards,
Lee