Re: [opensuse] Grub on CD
  • From: Clive Rogers <c.rogers@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2007 23:02:35 +0100
On Thursday 25 October 2007 22:26:44 Aaron Kulkis wrote:
Clive Rogers wrote:
Hello All,

I have a friend who is trying Linux after listening to me go on about how
good and stable it is for a few years. He is happy to install to a
partition on his harddrive but is not happy to have grub in his mbr.

So my question is can grub be put onto a CD so if he wants to boot into
linux he puts the CD in to the drive and let it boot into linux ?

If you've ever installed SuSE off of a CD or DVD, the boot
screen has the following options

[ ] Boot Installed System
[ ] Memtest86
[ ] Install SuSE Linux
[ ] Safe Install SuSE Linux

[the last option being one with the noapic and another option
which prevents problems with older motherboards]

So just use a SuSE install CD as a boot CD.

If he can how would he go about putting a bootable copy of grub on a CD ?

It's already on the SuSE install CD/DVD

Agreed. I also told him this but he is adamant he want to put the CD into the
drive and let it boot from there with no further interaction from himself.

I think he is onto a loosing streak and for the life of me I can not see why
he can't/won't install grub or lilo to the mbr which is the quickest and
easiest options.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and options.

--
Kindest regards,

Clive
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/c.rogers/