Re: [opensuse] No space left (but there is some!!)
  • From: Jeff Mahoney <jeffm@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2007 17:59:22 -0400

Ciro Iriarte wrote:
2007/10/24, Aaron Kulkis <akulkis00@xxxxxxxxxx>:
Rikard Johnels wrote:
On Wednesday 24 October 2007 15:48, Ciro Iriarte wrote:
Hi, just found a weird behavior on 10.3 (didn't happen on 10.1), when
i have little space it directly tells me that there's no space
left.... i'm using reiserfs on those fs...

mainwks:~/download> df -h /home/ /srv/ftp/
S.ficheros TamaƱo Usado Disp Uso% Montado en
/dev/mapper/system-home
32G 32G 130M 100% /home
/dev/mapper/system-ftp
15G 15G 236M 99% /srv/ftp

<snip for trim>

I seem to recall the system reserving a certain amount of space to enable
root
to login in case of a filled system. Or was that only on a ext2 filesystem?
That's on ALL Unix and Linux systems that I've ever used.
Once disk usage goes beyond a threshold (set individually
in each filesystem layout on each partition at filesystem
creation time), only root can write to the filesystem.

Any filesystem (ext3, xfs, reiserfs, etc) which doesn't have
this capability cannot be a general purpose Unix or Linux
filesystem because it cannot be used on whatever filesystem(s)
(i.e partition) hold, for example, /tmp, /var/log, /var/tmp,
and wherever root's home directory happens to be.

Also, what are you trying to do? Make a small (asy 4k)
> file, or something bigger?
How about inodes? Are you out of those?
Do a 'df -i' to check.

That doesn't apply to reiserfs, it does to ext3 and ufs for example
but you can set the reserved percentage to 0 (with tune2fs on ext3).
And about the inodes, the total quantity is not defined at the fs
creation time.

Ok, I just subscribed to this list, so this is the first message I have
in my inbox on this topic. I've read the rest on the archive. I do
regularly read opensuse-kernel, though.

First to start with the questions from the bottom up:

ReiserFS doesn't reserve space for anything other than the journal.

ReiserFS doesn't have inodes. It has items that are referenced by keys.
The only thing there is a "shortage" of is objectids, which are regular
32-bit integers. Unless you've managed to create ~ 4 billion files,
you're not running out of them.

This bug is likely caused by a patch I put into 10.3 that started using
the first_zero_hint value that is calculated in the bitmap code. The
calculations have been there for ages, but they haven't been used until
the 10.3 kernel. It short circuits the bitmap scanning code to skip
ranges it knows are already used. After the 10.3 release, I decided this
was a dubious optimization and was likely responsible for problems just
like this one (bug 331814). I pushed a patch to mainline that rips the
first_zero_hint code out entirely.

To test this hypothesis, please download and test a kernel from:
ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/people/jeffm/suse/testpkgs/331814

I'm very much interested in feedback to ensure that this solves the problem.

Thanks.

- -Jeff

- --
Jeff Mahoney