[opensuse] kernel: general protection fault: 0000
  • From: Vinzenz Bargsten <vbargsten@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2007 17:26:30 +0200
hi,

i am running a suse linux 9.3 x86_64 maschine with kernel version 2.6.11 (from package).
my problem is that it sometimes locks up, where sometimes means it can be occur between 24h or several weeks.
i even thought it was gone after changing some hardware (hdd, power supply) because it didnt occur for a while, but it did now on 2 following days.
it is also possible that these lockups are not the same, meaning this maybe is a new problem. (one backup hdd was really broken and causing problems)

the maschine does not respond to any input then und nothing is in the syslog.
yesterday i got a message when i was logged in via ssh on console which said:
kernel: general protection fault: 0000
connection was lost then. this reminds me of the win98 generic exception ;)

i really want to know a bit more precisely what the problem is, especially if it is a software or hardware problem.

what are the actual debugging options, opinions, recommendations?

yours
vb