Re: [opensuse] Re: About Backing Up
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2007 20:32:49 +0100 (CET)

The Wednesday 2007-02-21 at 12:10 +0100, Joachim Schrod wrote:

> Of course, being a statstical measure, it doesn't tell at all which disk will
> fail next, so it can only be used for purchasing decisions and not for
> precautionary actions. See also the recent Google report on that topic.

Right.

However... an example. The chaps maintaining my car do some kind of
"preventive maintenance": they replace some pieces based on time and
kilometers. When I check those pieces, they seem ok, but... who knows, I
know they will not break on the road. Hopefully.

I'm curious.

On large installations such as those you and Kai mention, are SMART tests
useful to predict failure?

- --
Cheers,
Carlos E. R.