[opensuse] Problems with HP Pavilion DV6000
  • From: J Sloan <joe@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 04 Feb 2007 19:20:27 -0800
I just Installed opensuse 10.2 on a new HP Pavilion DV6000 laptop.

intel duo core CPU
intel wireless network
intel graphics

I'm seeing a disparity between gnome and kde functionality -

#1 - wireless connections via network manager: In gnome, I can connect to the
secure wireless networks in my house, but with kde network manager I can't
connect to either of them. The gnome applet allows me to choose all the
correct parameters, while the kde applet allows fewer options, and does not
allow me to enter e.g. the correct the key type as in gnome. If only the kde
network manager applet provided all the functionality of the gnome one, we'd
be set.

#2 - laptop buttons (volume, dvd, etc) In kde, the laptop buttons surprisingly
work, but in gnome there is no response to any of the buttons. If the buttons
would work under gnome, we could just run gnome and be happy.

#3 - display problems - Despite the fact that this is an intel 945 graphics
chipset with 100% FOSS drivers, I can't get anything more than 1024x768
resolution, although it's capable of 1440x900. Any attempt to set a higher
resolution than 1024x768 gets a corrupted xmd screen, and I have to fall back
to the basic 1024x768 to get up and running again.

Anybody had any luck with linux (any distro) on an HP DV6000?

Joe