Re: [opensuse] distribution upgrade with smart?
  • From: "Rajko M." <rmatov101@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2007 21:28:44 -0600
On Friday 02 February 2007 04:08, Kostas Georgokitsos wrote:
> Hiall,
>
> I wonder if it is possible to upgrade my 10.1. to 10.2. over the network
> using smart? I thought smart feels a lot like apt so it could be possible.
> On the other hand I see all the version specific channels, and wonder if it
> is possible.
>
> My main thought was, that packman and guru packages could be automatically
> upgraded from the respective repositories, as well.

Hi Kostas,

updating from running system is not good idea.

My experience is that having all files for update locally can prevent bad
surprises with broken ftp servers.

Download DVD iso image, place it outside the system that should be updated,
like on separate partition and look at:
http://en.opensuse.org/Installation_using_images
http://en.opensuse.org/Installation_without_CD
http://en.opensuse.org/Install_on_PC_that_can't_boot_from_CD