Re: [opensuse] root password lost in kde
  • From: Paul Ollion <pollion@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2007 18:55:05 +0100
On Thursday 25 January 2007 22:27, you wrote:
> On Thursday 25 January 2007 13:19, Paul Ollion wrote:
> > >
> > > What does your /etc/sudoers file look like? Are you in it? That
> > > seems to be the issue.
> >
> > Thanks Brian for answering so fast Here is the content of
> > /etc/sudoers
> >
> > Defaults always_set_home
> > Defaults env_reset
> >
> > # Runas alias specification
> >
> > # User privilege specification
> > root ALL = (All) NOPASSWD: ALL
> >
> > > Also, you do know that you give YOUR password when running commands
> > > with sudo.
> >
> > Yes that is what I understood, but it does not work either. Perhaps I
> > should empty the sudo thing in yast. I tried some tweaking in it but
> > it was no good. my previous SuSE was the 9.3 and there has been a
> > lot of changes since.
>
> YOU, paulus is NOT in the /etc/sudoers file.
>
> As root do a 'visudo' and add this line
>
> paulus ALL = (All) ALL

Well, I could restore things by copying the sudo file from my laptop which
had not been upgraded
In fact, there were a lot of missing lines which I rewrote in my wrong sudo
file : All of these

#in the default (unconfigured) configuration, sudo asks for the root
password.
#This allows use of an ordinary user account for administration of a freshly
#installed system. When configuring sudo, delete the two
#following lines
Defaults targetpw #askfor the password of the target user i.e. root
ALL All=(ALL) ALL

Then I deleted the paulus entries and rewrote the root entry this way :
root. ALL ALL=(ALL) ALL

And now everything works fine as before the update.

--
Paul Ollion
Proud Linux user SuSE 10.2