Re: [opensuse] [feature-request] passwordless users in Yast
  • From: Anders Johansson <andjoh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2007 22:06:51 +0100
On Wednesday 24 January 2007 21:52, Peter Bradley wrote:
> Ysgrifennodd Anders Johansson:
> > and if you run as root, this won't protect you at all
> >
> > If you run as root, you deserve everything you get. It's folly and
> > stupidity, and I certainly hope you're not suggesting this to any other
> > newbies you're showing linux to.
>
> In fairness, I don't think that was what this marginal troll was saying.

You're right, I misread. I thought he wanted to run without a user account,
but he only wants his user account to not have a password

If he doesn't allow logins at all on his system, that might not be a security
hole, so that's not so bad as running as root

But it shouldn't be the default, the default should be to force it. At
present, it doesn't force a strong password, you can have the password
"hello", and yast will produce warnings about it but it will let you do it. I
don't think this is a bad thing