Re: [opensuse] Suse 10.2 +two network cards
  • From: art.fore@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 07:51:02 +0000

From: Roger Oberholtzer <roger@xxxxxx>
> On Wed, 2007-01-10 at 19:45 -0600, Billie Erin Walsh wrote:
> > On 01/10/2007 Art Fore wrote:
> > > How does one get two networking cards to go at the same time in Suse
> > > Linux 10.2? I have eth0 which is wired network, and eth1 which is
> > > Wireless. If I connect to the wireless using network manager, it
> > > disconnects the eth0 network, connects to the wireless eth1 for a few
> > > seconds, disconnects eth1, then goes back to the eth0.
> >
> > I have two wired network cards on separate networks. I can switch back
> > and forth between them and the connections stay stable. I'm with you I
> > would like to know if there is a way to get both active at the same
> > time. Something like the old dual line modems.
>
> Are you trying to put both interfaces on the same network (both have the
> same net mask)? That is problematic. Otherwise there is no trouble with
> multiple cards. My wireless network is different from my wire one, so it
> 'just works'. with two cards. In fact, in our products, we always have
> two cards - and two different networks.
>
> Having said that, there is one small issue with YasT that has been this
> way for years. It will not let you give different names to the cards.
> After assigning the system name, it is applied to both cards. So, you
> need to edit /etc/hosts and give one card (IP address) a different name.
> That is the only issue I have ever had.
>
> --
> Roger Oberholtzer
>
> OPQ Systems AB
> Ramböll Sverige AB
> Kapellgränd 7
> P.O. Box 4205
> SE-102 65 Stockholm, Sweden
>
> Tel: Int +46 8-615 60 20
> Fax: Int +46 8-31 42 23
>
> --

No, they are two different networks. The network cards are already two different names, eth0 and eth1

Here is output from route
10.37.129.0 * 255.255.255.0 U 0 0 0 vnic0
10.18.32.0 * 255.255.255.0 U 0 0 0 eth0
192.168.99.0 * 255.255.255.0 U 0 0 0 eth1
link-local * 255.255.0.0 U 0 0 0 eth0
loopback * 255.0.0.0 U 0 0 0 lo
default 10.18.32.1 0.0.0.0 UG 0 0 0 eth0

Guess I need default to go to 192.168.99.1 but have not figured out how. I can ping eth1 IP address with no problem from linux.