Re: [opensuse] Mac address
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 21:47:26 +0100 (CET)

The Wednesday 2007-01-10 at 14:43 -0500, James Knott wrote:

> Kenneth Schneider wrote:
> > This does _not_ change the embedded MAC address as it _cannot_ be
> > permanently changed. This is so there never is a duplicate on the WWW.
> > What you are doing is masquerading the address during your boot session.
> >

> It doesn't matter about the WWW. It only matters on the local network. As
> soon as a packet hits the first router, the original MAC is discarded and
> replaced by another. This happens at every router along the route.

While that is true, ethernet was designed to work without tcp/ip routers,
in a way that no two cards in the world have the same MAC, so that all can
be connected to the same ethernet network - as far as MACs are concerned,
of course.

If I remember correctly, a part of the address is reserved for the maker,
and the rest for the card - thus the maker can make only so many cards in
its whole life. :-)

- --
Cheers,
Carlos E. R.