Re: [opensuse] Question for iPod users out there!
  • From: "Hylton Conacher(ZR1HPC)" <hylton@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2007 16:24:21 +0200
Jan Kupec wrote:
Jorge Fábregas wrote:

Hello there,

I'm planning to buy an ipod and after googling for "linux+ ipod" I think I'm going to use GTKpod. I have a question though...
Assuming my iPod is already formatted with FAT32, isn't it just a matter of mounting the ipod and copy my mp3's to some specific folder on the "mounted drive"? Why do I need an app? I initially thought that the ipod (Nano 2G in this case) wasn't perceived as an "USB mass storage device" but I'm confused now :(

iPod needs your mp3s stored in a special way (this was created as way to
put a little obstacle to spreading illegal music). You'll learn more
when you'll take a look at the directory structure after you mount it.
That's why you need a special app instead of just copying the files. I
suppose you're a gnome user, so you can use GTKpod, but if you don't
mind installing kde packages, try also amaroK.

Try IPod Support on Suse
gtkpod - manage songs and playlists on an Apple iPod
http://feeds.feedburner.com/~r/LinuxAppFinderWebLinks/~3/71247272/

HTH