[opensuse] Question for iPod users out there!
  • From: "Scott Gilmore" <georider@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2007 09:51:43 -0500
On 1/4/07, Roger Oberholtzer <roger@xxxxxx> wrote:
You can of course browse the file system on the ipod. However, music
files are not stored with their original names. They are renamed to odd
names. Track info is all taken from the ID3 tags (NOT the file names)
and placed in a database. That is also what makes it a challenge to
simply copy mp3 music files off the ipod. gtkpod makes this easy. Note
also that konqueror has an ipod: service that makes reading from the
ipod very easy.

It's also worthy to note that amarok and banshee also work with the
itunes db. I've tried it with amarok prior to 1.4 with some luck. I
also tried banshee. Of the 3, gtkpod seemed to be the easiest to use,
IMHO.

One item of note though; populating your ipod with gtkpod and then
syncing with itunes on a windows pc wiped all the songs from my
collection. I had to go back to gtkpod and resync with it. I did not
investigate why this happened.

-Scott