Re: [opensuse] Can't find growisofs
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2007 00:31:56 +0100 (CET)

The Monday 2007-01-01 at 16:34 -0500, James Knott wrote:

> > growisofs appears to be limited to 4G, that 4000*1024*1024. I have no
> > problem writting <=4G. >4G growisofs faults.
> >
> > 16:16 wahoo:~ > rpm -qf `which growisofs` `which k3b`
> > dvd+rw-tools-7.0-0.pm.0
> > k3b-0.12.17-100.pm.0
> >
> > BUT, I have written >4G iso's ???
> >
> Perhaps growisofs is part of the creating the ISO process and can't
> exceed 4 GB. And perhaps K3B is capable of burning an ISO greater than
> 4 GB, once it has been created by other means.

I have created bigger isos than 4GB using growisofs in the past. It's easy
enough to test.

nimrodel:/other/asnos # du -sh incoming/
4.2G incoming/
nimrodel:/other/asnos # growisofs -dry-run -Z /dev/dvd -R ./incoming/
Executing 'mkisofs -R ./incoming/ | builtin_dd of=/dev/dvd obs=32k seek=0'
INFO: UTF-8 character encoding detected by locale settings.
Assuming UTF-8 encoded filenames on source filesystem,
use -input-charset to override.
Using BATTL000.SRT;1 for ./incoming/files/....
nimrodel:/other/asnos #

No errors reported. I could check bigger sizes, but growisofs insists on
checking the media size, it doesn't create image files.

Actually, to create an image growisofs calls mkisofs. And, mkisofs will
refuse to include a file bigger than 4 GB inside an iso image. I mean, it
can not create an ISO image containing inside a file bigger than 4GB,
which must be a limitation of the iso image format. However, the image
itself can be bigger than 4GB. See the error you get:

nimrodel:/biggy # growisofs -Z /dev/hdc /biggy/BIG.FILE -dvd-compat -speed=8
Executing 'mkisofs /biggy/BIG.FILE | builtin_dd of=/dev/hdc obs=32k seek=0'
INFO: UTF-8 character encoding detected by locale settings.
Assuming UTF-8 encoded filenames on source filesystem,
use -input-charset to override.
mkisofs: Value too large for defined data type. File
/biggy/BIG.FILE is too large - ignoring <================
Total translation table size: 0
Total rockridge attributes bytes: 0

It may be that this is what you are observing. kdar is (I guess) creating
backup archives bigger (slices?) than 4GB, which growisofs can't process.

- --
Cheers,
Carlos E. R.