Re: [opensuse] SUSE repository
  • From: Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Jan 2007 14:37:44 -0800
On Monday 01 January 2007 14:11, John Andersen wrote:
> On Monday 01 January 2007 08:01, Kenneth Schneider wrote:
> > It never
> > hurts to add more repo's as long as you know what you are doing.
>
> Well, yes, Ken it does hurt.
> It hurts every time you launch yast to install something because it
> has to connect to those repos.
>
> In 9.3 you could be in and out of yast to add a new package very
> quickly. Now I dread loading yast because of the time it takes
> just too say "Hi there" to all the repos.

Each configured repository can individually be set to "Refresh" or not.
Only when the repository's refresh is "on" does it retrieve the content
information every time you launch the Software Management module.

Some repositories (notably Guru's and Packman) update very frequently,
and it's best to leave their refresh on. (On more than one occasion
I've had them change between the time I launch the Software Management
module and I initiate installation of selected packages.

Repositories that change infrequently are better left with their refresh
off. If they happen to change at some point, you can refresh them
manually in the Installation Source YaST module (select "Refresh
Now..." from the "Source Settings" pop-up) when they do get updated.
Clearly, local read-only media (CDs and DVDs) need never be updated,
since they are, by definition, unchanging.

You needn't worry about an inconsistency between the locally cached copy
of the repository's table of contents and that of the repository itself
even for repositories whose refresh you've set to "off" since you'll be
informed no later than the point at which to decide to install one or
more packages from that repository.

> Add to that the dodgy mirrors that come and go based on
> the phases of the moon, and you soon learn to keep your
> repo list to a minimum.

It's true that if a given configured repository is under load too great
for it to bear that launching Software Management can take a very long
time to get to the point of interaction with that module, but I don't
see a practical alternative, since the installer really needs to have
up-to-date information on the state of the repository from which it is
retrieving packages to install.

Randall Schulz