Re: [opensuse] Which flavor of openSUSE for Intel Core Duo chipset
  • From: Thomas Hertweck <Thomas.Hertweck@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 01 Jan 2007 14:51:27 +0000

Randall R Schulz wrote:
> On Friday 29 December 2006 18:53, John Andersen wrote:
>> [...]
>> It will work with either i386 or X86_64, but in my tests its faster
>> using x86_64. (aka EMT64).
>
> What are those tests? My on-line research indicates that there are but a
> very few circumstances in which the Core 2 Duo chips are faster when
> used in their 64-bit mode.

I have no experience with Intel Core 2 Duo chips yet, but with Intel
Xeon server CPUs which allow to use 32-bit or 64-bit OS and/or software.
Our experience is that we get (same hardware specs; same software) up to
xx% better performance using x86_64, i.e. we've made similar experiences
to John.

Cheers, Th.