Re: [opensuse] Resetting xterm?
  • From: Manfred Hollstein <manfred@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 16:27:54 +0100
Hi there,

On Tue, 19 Dec 2006, 16:17:34 +0100, Carlos E. R. wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a smallish problem.
>
> When exiting a program inside an xterm sometimes the display is not left
> as it was before. For instance, 'mc' sometimes leaves the cursor as white
> box on white background, a bit difficult to see. Minicom leaves it as
> yellow on white. All this after the "clear" and "reset" commands.
>
> Any other possibility to reset it (black box on white background)?
>
> Of course, I can close that xterm and start another, but perhaps there is
> a way. Is it an xterm bug? An application bug?

This is clearly an application bug; if an application changes some
attributes of the display, it is responsible to reset them to the
initial status when it is closed. I'd call this gentle behaviour, at
least. You can reset the xterm, however, by pressing the Ctrl key and
clicking the middle mouse button inside the xterm; this pops up a menu
from which you can choose to do a "Soft Reset" or a "Full Reset".

> Cheers,
> Carlos Robinson

HTH, cheers.

l8er