Re: [opensuse] Dear Novell...
  • From: Doug McGarrett <dmcgarrett@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2006 21:32:28 -0500
On Friday 15 December 2006 19:05, Carl William Spitzer IV wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-12-11 at 23:46 -0800, Curtis Rey wrote:
> > Kinda silly isn't it!?! I garner the Novell has followed RH's lead and
> > decided not to supply boxed sets that can be bought at the local area
> > Bestbuy/CompUSA/Pick_A_Store. Instead they partner up with DIgRiv and
> > charge rates for Over Night shipping determined by distance? When the
> > USPS rates are a lot more palatable? Novell really really makes me
> > wonder sometimes.
>
> Small problem is that the US-PO is subsidized so while you might think
> your getting shipping cheaper your paying for the full freight in excise
> taxes elsewhere. Better to have the full quality of DHL or the like.
>
> Still the illusion of paying less for shipping is a sales technique
> which Novell marketing has foolishly overlooked. Lets at least hope
> they learn marketing and packaging from M$.

Well, we may pay the "excise tax" anyway--we might as well get the most out of
it. But the last I looked, the USPS was _not_ a government entity, it is
supposed to be a pay-as-you-go privatized corporation. I have found the USPS
to be a really reliable outfit in recent years. Whether or not it is price-
competitive with FedEx or UPS, I really don't know. What I do know is that
from a shipping point of view, there's always a post office around the
corner.

--doug