Re: FW: [opensuse] Need monitor recommendation
  • From: Bruce Marshall <bmarsh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 22:03:24 -0500
On Thursday 14 December 2006 20:57, Greg Wallace wrote:
> >Randall Schulz
>
> Randall:
>
>   I have a bit of a vision problem and need 1024 X 768.  Felix was saying
> that you need to consider that when buying a LCD monitor because, unlike a
> CRT, they have an optimal resolution.  Would the VP201b work ok at that
> resolution?

I'm not Randall... but I also have a VP201b,

When I first installed 10.1 I could not get the monitor setup properly due to
the ATI modules in the kernel. I ran at 1280x1024 for quite awhile and it
was not good. I don't think 1024x768 would be any better. I finally
downloaded the ATI driver and after I got them working I switched to an
NVidia card and haven't looked back.

I would think you would be able to set a vp201b into its 1600x1200 mode and
then work with the software to get it into a mode you want.... larger
fonts, etc. Maybe someone else has experience with that.

Point is.... if you get an LCD small enough that its native mode is
1024x768, then you're dealing with a smaller screen and I think the result is
going to be much the same. Better to have the larger screen size and then
enlarge the info that goes on it.