Re: [opensuse] Suse 10.2 +KDE +Evolution
  • From: Art Fore <art.fore@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 23:24:13 +0800
On Tue, 2006-12-12 at 15:23 +0100, Will Stephenson wrote:
> On Tuesday 12 December 2006 14:33, Roger Oberholtzer said:
> > chmod a+x my-evolution
> > #!/bin/sh
>
> I should have mentioned these myself - also gnome-keyring-daemon does not
> output export - dbus-start does, which I actually uses, so I forgot to add
> this. The script should be
> "
> #!/bin/bash
> `eval gnome-keyring-daemon`
> export GNOME_KEYRING_SOCKET
> export GNOME_KEYRING_PID
> "
>
> > I wonder why the original poster used 'eval' to run the command. Very
> > odd. Perhaps you also need to have the very first line in the script be:
>
> Because 'eval' evaluates the output of the command as if it was part of the
> script. Thus the GNOME_KEYRING_SOCKET, GNOME_KEYRING_PID assignments are
> evaluated, the variables are set, exported to the environment, and evolution
> can find the keyring daemon.
>
> You might of course end up with multiple daemons running if you start and stop
> evolution though. The solution agreed when I discussed this with the Ximian
> guys was to make gnome-keyring-daemon a dbus service instead of using its own
> socket and protocol so that an existing instance can be found, but I guess
> this is still a WIP.
>
> Another workaround is to start the daemon and export its variables to the
> global environment at the start of every x session; start the daemon as shown
> in $HOME/.xinitrc - however that's not something we want or need to activate
> by default. Maybe Evolution could do this for you on first run if it detects
> the daemon isn't running.
>
> BTW, kontact starts and stops kded for its keyring/wallet needs automatically.
>
> Will

This did not even start the gnome-keyring-daemon.

Here is my file

#!/bin/sh
eval 'gnome-keyring-daemon'
export GNOME_KEYRING_SOCKET
export GNOME_KEYRING_PID
evolution

As you can see, I only moved the '.

Still did not work even though the daemon was started. Executed it from
the command line and got a missing libgail-gnome. So I installed that.
Now I get the following

GNOME_KEYRING_SOCKET=/tmp/keyring-AjMN9C/socket
GNOME_KEYRING_PID=8263
Bonobo accessibility support initialized
GTK Accessibility Module initialized
CalDAV Eplugin starting up ...
** (evolution-2.8:8264): DEBUG: mailto URL command: evolution %s
** (evolution-2.8:8264): DEBUG: mailto URL program: evolution

(evolution-2.8:8264): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_check_menu_item_set_active:
assertion `GTK_IS_CHECK_MENU_ITEM (check_menu_item)' failed
get art.fore pop://<email address>
Find Items 2
Couldn't Get password 2
Remember pop://<email address>: 2/0
get art.fore pop://<email address>
Find Items 2
Couldn't Get password 2
Remember pop://<email address>: 2/0

When I enter the password, it goes and gets the mail one time. Next time
still have to enter the email address again.

Seems to me this bandaid is really a bandaid that works depending on the
time of day, temperature, and phase of the moon. Wished Novell would fix
it pronto so one does not have to spend so much time to get something to
work that should work out of the box. If this is the result of Novell's
interoperability efforts, I don't think Microsoft has much to worry
about.

Art