Re: [opensuse] Re: How much memory does Suse need?
  • From: James Wright <jamfwright@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2006 09:04:01 -0500
On Friday 01 December 2006 1:41 am, John Andersen wrote:
> On Thursday 30 November 2006 12:04, Alexey Eremenko wrote:
> > To work with openSUSE in Graphical KDE Mode, you will need about
> > Pentium III 450 MHz Computer + 256 MB of RAM + 10 GB Hard Disk.
> >
> > This is the recommended workable minimum, below which the OS will be
> > slow.
>
> But a realistic minimum recommendation would be two times (each) of
> Alexey's specifications. 3x is better yet, and still very cheap to knock
> together.

I have Suse 10.0 running on a 600 Mhz Pentium with 256 MB of RAM, using KDE on
a 9 GB HDD, and it runs surprisingly fast. It out-performs Suse 10.1 on a
Toshiba laptop 2.8 Ghz Pentium with 196 MB of RAM (low, I know) on a 30 GB
partition. The Toshiba is deathly slow with 10.1, so much so that I do not
use it and am greatly anticipating 10.2. I am sad to say that XP runs very
quickly on it. But I will happily add that 10.0 outperforms XP 2 -1 on this
600 Mhz system.

- James W.