Re: [SLE] Daylight Saving time change?
  • From: Ed McCanless <e_mccanless@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2006 02:30:35 +0000 (UTC)
Darryl Gregorash wrote:
> In this case, it actually is so simple. I already did the legwork for
> both Ed and Simon -- all they have to do is copy and paste. They don't
> have to worry about how the /usr/share/zoneinfo/ tree is set up, don't
> have to worry about "where is that *#@$*&(*& MST7MDT thingy anyway" when
> they use the Date and Time panel in Yast (but for the record, it is
> under "Global", which is merely yast-ese for "it is in
> /usr/share/zoninfo/ and not in any subdirectory of that), and certainly
> don't have to wonder what that "etc" thingy is at the bottom of the zone
> column in the Yast Date and Time panel.
>
> I don't know how much more simple it could be, and I really don't know
> why people always have to argue about what is/should be/could be/might
> be, without actually directly answering the OP's question(s), when
> someone else has actually gone out and found a safe, complete, solution
> for the OP. Next will you be suggesting that using the Yast sysconfig
> editor is equally evil? (That is surely how Ed entered his timezone
> information.)

In Carl's defense, let me say that it is good to have input from several
different sources, on several different methods.
It' true that I still depend on the YaST tool a lot, but I am trying to
learn scripting, so all the info I've seen in this discussion will be a
help to me in one way or another.
Even when two people say the same thing, I will understand one better,
so please don't discourage anyone from telling what they know.

Thanks All,

-- ED --