Setting up DSL on SUSE 10.1
  • From: QiuFeng <MingQiuFeng_8@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2006 17:43:33 +0000 (UTC)

I'm new to Linux as I mentioned before. However, I tested a couple other Live
CD distros. PCLinuxOS and SimplyMepis 6.0. Both of these distros enabled me
to easily go online in China. I was rather suprised that
PCLinuxOS actually had the China Telecom provider in their list! SimplyMepis
didn't but I just put in one IP address and it went online fine. I can't get
SUSE to do anything? I am not sure if it's due to the lack of DNS address.
After trying several combinations of settings I am nowhere near getting
online. I doubt it's an issue with the modem as the other distros read it
fine. It's not a special modem. They tend to use the easiest and most
readable things they can find here since they typically don't want to spend
much time setting anything up.

I am not doing any networking. I'm using a Laptop and PPP ethernet
connection. Just simple. Open to suggestions. I will contact my provider
tommorow to see if they can give me "more" detailed information and then
I'll try again. If more information is needed I'll be glad to provide it.

I went into Yast. Configured the Ethernet card to HDCP. Then when that
didn't work I added a fixed address.
Following Yast instructions I can't think of much else at the moment.