Re: [SLE] Setting up DSL on SUSE 10.1
  • From: Kai Ponte <kai@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2006 19:55:39 +0000 (UTC)
On Friday 03 November 2006 10:05, QiuFeng wrote:
> As directed:
> 1. connecting laptop to a modem (ethernet line. I with Winduds there is a
> password necessary.)
> 2. Simply go to Geeko (the start menu icon) > System > Yast (Control
> Center) and then enter your root password.
> Click on Network Devices and Network Card.
> 3. Click on User Controlled (With Network Manager) and then select which
> network card you have connected (wired) to connect.
> 4. I have set default to the DHCP. When it said connected. Opened browser.
> Unable to reach server message.
> 5. I use network tools. Ping the address that does show up when I
> highlight the wired connection on the Nework Icon on taskbar. (Note it
> doesn't show subnet
> masks or anything. Just the address of my provider. As you surmised
> inside the Router/Modem) The Ping is active and showing I'm online.

So you can ping any address? Can you - for example - ping china.org.cn or
pku.edu.cn? (I cannot ping them, but can get to their websites. I'm guessing
there might be a firewall issue.)

> 6. At this point I guess I should go to DSL configuration because it must
> need the password and member/user name as in Winduds! It also needed the
> password from the other Distros.

That may be. I setup my username/password in my router. It also has a fixed IP
address for the DSL connection.

> 7. After the setup a quick look at the network Icon on the taskbar and
> I've got other information there. Subnet etc.

Good.

> 8. I open Firefox, Seamonkey, Ephiphany. Same message. Server cn't be
> reached.
> 9. At this point I'm confused. Basically it seems that SUSE is not sending
> information to the modem, such as my user name and password. or asking for
> information
> from the modem. I can't comprehend what I may be missing from the
> process. I've looked ,but it's gotten to late now and I'm no longer alert,
> for something
> that I would use to activate internet service? A tool or program or
> something that may be what I'm missing similar to Winduds. Place the Icon
> on Desktop then click it to

There's a command line option to tell you a few things.

Open up a terminal (people are fainting to read me state this) and
type /sbin/ifconfig

This gives you information on your card(s) and to what they are connected.

Here's part of mine:

eth1 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:12:F0:99:30:65
inet addr:192.168.0.101 Bcast:192.168.0.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
RX bytes:13658066 (13.0 Mb) TX bytes:1922377 (1.8 Mb)

What that is telling me is eth1 - which is my wireless connection - is up and
connected. It has an internet address (inet addr:) of 192.168.0.101 and is
using a subnet of 255.255.255.0

You can also see it has received 13.0 Mb of information (RX bytes) and sent
1.8Mb (TX bytes).

A non-active connection will look like the following:

eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:12:3F:15:9C:97
UP BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:0 (0.0 b) TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)
Interrupt:11

As you can see there's been no transmission or reception of packets.

Another tool you can use is ifstatus. Type /sbin/ifstatus eth(x) - where x is
your card. I get the following for my wifi connection:

kai@sith:~> /sbin/ifstatus eth1

eth1 device: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection
(rev 05)
eth1 configuration: wlan-id-00:12:f0:99:30:65
eth1 IEEE 802.11g ESSID:"TheForce"
Mode:Managed Frequency:2.437 GHz Access Point: 00:11:95:72:38:22
Bit Rate=36 Mb/s Tx-Power=20 dBm

You can see even in this abbreviated version that a lot more information is
displayed. I can see my configuration, the network I'm on, whether or not I'm
using DHCP and other items.

This should get you started.

One final question - I have several of my Mandarin and Cantonese speaking
friends using Red Flag Linux (http://www.redflag-linux.com). Would that be an
easier option for you in your country?

--
kai ponte