Why this attitude on this list against newbies? (Was: Re: [SLE] CPU-Z For Linux?)
  • From: HG <hg.list@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 4 Nov 2006 10:29:01 +0000 (UTC)
Hi!

On 11/3/06, [Some Linux Guru] wrote:
On Thursday 02 November 2006 18:27, [Linux newbie] wrote:
> > kai@sith:~> /proc/cpuinfo
> > bash: /proc/cpuinfo: Permission denied
>
> - - -
>
> /proc/* are text files, not executables or scripts.
>
> even windoz will not run a file that does not have an 'executable'
> extension. It doesn't even know what type a file is without an
> extension.
... and let's see...

-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2006-11-02 19:36 cpuinfo

Oh... only read flags are showing... that means that no one my write to
it (except the kernel), and no one my execute it... NO ONE...

But leave it to someone to try... <sigh>

But it looks like anyone can read it... let's see...

cat /proc/cpuinfo

Yup, that worked.

Or, you can use the Suse tools I pedantically showed Randy earlier...

Why do you guys answer Linux newbies like this? This is so belittling.
And why can you not just write Windows, why do you have to write
windoz? Maybe the newbies never used Windows before, but OS-X for
instance. Somebody asks a genuine questions and gets answers with this
attitude...

I'm ashamed to be a part of this community. Still I am continuing to
be as it's the only channel I get help from. I just hope I'm not
answered this way.

--
HG.

< Previous Next >