Re: [SLE] nVidia driver
  • From: Basil Chupin <blchupin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2006 15:51:50 +0000 (UTC)
Robert Cunningham wrote:

Carlos E. R. wrote:
The Monday 2006-11-06 at 05:47 -0500, Fred A. Miller wrote:

Fred, have you tried going back several versions of the driver to see
what results you get?
Sorry I'm late in getting back to you Basil. No, I haven't. I have
hope that
SOON SUSE will get nVidia to fix the driver as it SHOULD be. That
is, equal
in performance to the 'Bloze driver. I am also watching ATI, as the
buyout of
ATI by AMD is now consumated. The "word" is, is that AMD IS going to
place
the driver code under GPL. We'll see if they do. 'Hope so! Intel has
already
made their drivers open source, so this would put ample on nVidia to
get
their heads out of the sand bucket.
I have mentioned here that there are reports opened in bugzilla about
this, and that they are waiting for your report. If nothing comes, they
will close it without doing anything.

And, for the record, the problem seems to be in the linux camp, not the
nvidia's.

Basil

I would also like to report that Nvidia is also trying to work on some of
this as well. Following a few reports of this on this forum about a month
ago I went to Nvidia and downloaded their Linux Beta Driver
1.0-9625 and have been using it on both my AMD-64 system and
my junky work computer a AMD 1700+ with a Geforce MX-400 card
running 1280x1024 at 101Hz vertical. Running GLX-gears at it's native
window, with lots of other stuff running in the background, I get 226
f/min, which is
about 10% faster than the 8762 driver that I was running. It has been
running
rock solid since I installed it and comes with Nvidia's control panel as
well.

The beta 9625 was superceded by the 8776 driver which came out on 19 October.

The beta driver, and the 8776, mainly fix a security hole but I may be wrong.

For me the 8776, the 9625, and their predecessor all work OK once installed on all the 3 nVidia cards I have even though the glxgears revolve slowly - much slower than in versions of Suse prior to 10.0 I would say. I think the problem of slowness in glxgears started with suse 10.0 so what actually changed in the nVidia driver at that time I don't know.

Cheers.

--
"If the terrier and the bariffs are torn down, this economy will grow."

George W. Bush January 2000