Re: [opensuse] Firefox & RPM
  • From: Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2006 09:07:10 -0800

> .rpm files should be downlaoded by the browser, then the 'file'
> utility can be easily used to see if this is an installable software
> package, or a link to streaming media.

That's overly manual, is it not? Computers should not require humans to
tell them what kind of data they have in hand, at least not in normal
operating scenarios.

> .rpm files for realplayer are usually only a few lines of plain text.
> They do not contain the video stream itself.

The question is not what kind of bytes are in the resource retrieved,
but rather how to handle them. Redhat Package Manager RPM files are
usually to be downloaded, but I think Konqueror can handle them via a
plug-in of some sort. RealPlayer's ".rpm" files can be handled by
browser plug-ins.

Thus, the browser needs to know the _type_ of the resource in order to
handle it properly. Inference of type based on name suffix is
ambiguous, hence the problem.

> cheers,
> Jw.

Randall Schulz