Re: [opensuse] Goodbye to suse
  • From: Thomas Miller <tmiller@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2006 13:49:49 -0500
At least get your facts right before you make a decision

Here are several articles with positive and negative spins on the deal.

I for one don't like companies that do deals with MS as they almost always get the short end of the stick. On the other hand, Suse isn't making great gains against Red Hat yet either and they are a business. Sometimes you make deals because you need to today. I hope in 5 years we can look back at the deal and say that Novell and the Linux community got as much out of the deal as MS.

I really think MS is more interested in Xen then anything else. And this is their first step in getting in with the Xen crowed to eventually run it with Vista. I don't have a problem with that as long as they put their fair share of resource toward the technology.

The best way to change a communist country is to make capitalists out of them. The best way to make MS a good software citizen is for them to embrace the ideas behind open source software. The more they use the more MS has to change its ways.

SheridanJ West wrote:
I'd like to thank all of you who have answered posts of mine to this
mailing list (before it renamed). For the record i was waiting 10.2
and then bang Novell did a sco like licensing deal with the evil borg
persons.

Linux does not mean 'i support microsoft with money'

So I'm moving to new distro. Whether suse/novell consider us a hobby
user is not important but supporting microsoft is not the deal i
signed on with Suse before Novell bought it.

While i may not be supporting the ms deal if say i bought disks for
10, it's the thought that my loyalty is misplaced now. I can do
better and mod perl 2 excites me.

So thank you once again and goodbye.

Thomas Miller
Chrome Portal Project Manager
CPCUG Programmers SIG Chairperson (formally Delphi)
BSS Accounting & Distribution Software
BSS Enterprise Accounting FrameWork

http://www.bss-software.com
http://programmers.cpcug.org/