Re: [opensuse] Re: [SLE] A five year deal with Microsoft to dump Novell/SUSE
  • From: "JJ Gitties" <jj.gitties@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2006 23:17:42 -0500
On 11/10/06, J Sloan <joe@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I would think it's quite obvious - it's a double standard. Either it's OK
be involved with microsoft, or it's not. You can't have it both ways.

Are you saying that if you use SUSE or Linux, then you are automatically
against Microsoft? Total horse rubbish. Using Linux or SUSE does not
automatically make you anything other than a Linux of SUSE user. It has
nothing to do with advocacy or anti-Microsoft campaining. Being
anti-Microsoft has nothing to do with your prefered OS. For example, some
scientists is universities use *nix because they have specialty apps they
run that only are made for the Unix environment.

I personally use SUSE as my main work desktop at work. But I also use an
> XP desktop so I can actually troubleshoot first hand the apps in the OS
> environment that 99% of the users use. There is no shame in that.
>
> No one at work could care less what I personally use as long as I get
> the job done. I have also never heard of a place where the IT guy can
> tell the CIO what the company should buy and what they should deploy.

That means you feel it's OK to be involved with microsoft. So, if you feel
you
should have the freedom to be involved with microsoft, why do you condemn
Novell for dealing with microsoft?

You will be very hard pressed to find a job in IT these days, and if you
decide to filter out everyone except Linux only companies, you are in for a
real, real REAL long job hunt (At least here in North America. I can't speak
for EU, but I bet you have better chances working is a SUSE only shop in
Germany). Most really large companies are windows shops or a mix with a
small linux component. I think academia are the only guys that have major
*nix deployments and most of those guys use BSD I think.

Anyways, there is a really good reason why the companies are windows shops
and it has nothing to do with loving Microsoft or hating Linux. Is has to do
with apps. Most everyday joe staff are windows users at home and they like
to use windows and MS office in the workplace. A lot of companies run
managed systems so you don't have IT guys walking around manually installing
apps and patches like monkeys all day long. Centrally managing and deploying
apps and patches and configs is a big deal for them. and what better way to
deploy windows apps and configs to windows OS's than to use a windows
backend (i.e. windows server and AD).

We used to run NetWare and ZENworks but like everyone else in the industry
we migrated away from NetWare becuase Novell are run but a bunch of idiots
who like to screw over their best products.

--
jjgitties,

"*We* need to convince OpenSUSE to fork, or let 'em die. To bad, it is a
wonderful Distro. But their parent company is NOT our friend."
< Previous Next >