Re: [SLE] easy way to enter this symbol:¥
  • From: penguin powered <penguin_powered@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2006 23:17:55 +0000 (UTC)
张韡武 wrote:

在 2006-09-30六的 19:23 +0200,Jan Engelhardt写道:

This symbol (¥) is very important to me, it means Chinese money,
RMB or CNY. I use it everyday on OOCalc. How do I enter this
symbol?

The old way is to keep it in tomboy (a memo application) and copy
& paste it to OOCalc when I need it.

Windows (Chinese version) has a special feature to enter this
symbol easily.

Other symbols I don't know how to enter in Linux are:
1. 、
2. 《》

These symbols are very frequently used Chinese punctuations. They are
all available in Windows as 'software keyboard' that when enabled, each
key is replaced by a Chinese punctuation. Thanks to this interesting
feature, currently no Chinese keyboard actually implement these
punctuations as separate key.

P.S. I tried to look for them in char-map but is not able to find them
easily. The way I keep using is google-for-it-and-copy&paste.

P.S. Use UTF-8 charset if you cannot see my example punctuations
correctly. If your font doesn't include these punctuations, try use GNU
Unifont or check the screenshot I made and attached to this email.

Well on my British layout keyboard, I have the following:
Shift + Alt Gr + Y = ¥ (165)
Alt Gr + Z = « (171)
Alt Gr + X = » (187)

On a regular US, with compose enabled:

<Compose> + "=" + "Y" = ¥ (probably not the same as ¥)
<Compose> + "<" + "<" = « (definitely not the same as 《 )

How do we enable COMPOSE? Is it a key on the keyboard?

I can try to find keyboards with COMPOSE key.

And the other is Compose>>.

I can't find the other one [、 (12289)], but it is possibly there somewhere. Unfortunately, there's no guarantee that they will be on the same keys for your layout.

I do not know offhand if SCIM behaves the same way as MS-IME for
puncutation, that is, creating 。 and 、 (when in Japanese).

No. SCIM gives double width version of a character but not necessarily
Chinese version of a character.

E.g. 1:

When I type dollar sign in Chinese input mode, in Windows the symbol for
Chinese Yuan is printed out. In Linux, ooops, a double-width USD symbol
is printed out. Who need double-width USD Symbol? Plainly SCIM gives
double-width version of every original symbol but not their Chinese
counterparts.

E.g. 2:

When I type hyphen/dash in Chinese mode, I am expecting Chinese
punctuation "──" (a.k.a. "破折号"). If I were using Winodws, a "破折号"
would be printed out. But actually SCIM gives me this symbole: "-",
This is not the correct symbol. What SCIM gives me is the double-width
version of hyphen, which is a symbol almost not at all used in Chinese
text. See the difference:

看吧,它飞舞着,象个精灵,──高傲的,黑色的暴风雨的精灵,
看吧,它飞舞着,象个精灵,--高傲的,黑色的暴风雨的精灵,

sorry this is off topic. Anyway there are still a lot of localisation
necessary for Linux for Chinese users.

Jan Engelhardt

I would be surprised if this is a Linux limitation. I think this may be a stumbling block in SLE. Why don't you post your question in CentOS 4 forum at http://www.centos.org/ and see if Red Hat handles this differently than Suse?

(CentOS = Community Enterprise OS, it's the OpenSource version of Red Hat Enterprise Linux; used by a lot of U.S. universities)