Re: [SLE] Need help diagnosing hardware problem
  • From: Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2006 19:27:24 +0000 (UTC)
Greg,

On Tuesday 17 October 2006 12:10, Greg Wallace wrote:

> Wow. Sounds to me like there's no really accurate way to test the
> power supply. Maybe the best bet would be to exhaust all other
> possibilities and if the problem persists just replace the power
> supply to see if that fixes it.

Well, that's not really true. If you look closely at the power
connector, you'll see that the sleeves of each pin come pretty close to
the top of the connector, and multimeter probe pins can usually reach
them easily, so measurement under load is probably not a problem. As
for knowing what voltage to verify, most supplies list the pin-outs and
color codes on their labels. Failing that, there are doubtless on-line
resources with this information. E.g.:

- <http://pinouts.ru/pin_Power.shtml>
- <http://pinouts.ru/Power/atx_v2_pinout.shtml> (ATX version 2)
- <http://pinouts.ru/Power/atxpower_pinout.shtml> (ATX version 1.x)
- <http://pinouts.ru/Power/atx12v_pinout.shtml> (Pentium IV and later)

These references give both voltages and color codes. They should be
adequate for testing purposes.

Do you have a multimeter / VOM / DVM (or, god forbid a VTVM)? At the
very least, you'll need that to perform a measurement. And a minimally
acceptable DVM is cheaper than a high-quality power supply.

> Greg Wallace

Randall Schulz