Re: [SLE] Need help diagnosing hardware problem
  • From: Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 21:39:50 +0000 (UTC)
Carlos,

On Wednesday 18 October 2006 14:19, Carlos E. R. wrote:
> The Wednesday 2006-10-18 at 16:10 -0400, Bruce Marshall wrote:
> > On Wednesday 18 October 2006 15:31, Greg Wallace wrote:
> > > Don't they get dirty faster that way?  Or do you mean just the
> > > cover on the power supply box?
> >
> > Not in my opinion.... and it lets you see better when they do get
> > dirry and it's an easy task to shut them down, cool them off, and
> > then blow the dirt out.
>
> You produce electromagnetic interference.

Well, the amount produced will not change, but the amount emitted might
increase, but only if the cabinet is primarily metal all around. Some
cases now are made with plastic side and top panels. The amount of EMI
emitted is not going to be altered by a few millimeters of plastic
paneling.

> The correct airflow is spoiled (air loops and no flow in certain
> areas).

I've heard that before and it's perhaps true in principal and in
general, but I've never been able to see a difference in the
temperatures read by the sensors for those components that have them
depending on whether the cabinet is open or not.

The sound output is changed, though I'm not sure it's louder with the
side panel off (it could be quieter if the load on the fans is reduced
or louder if more fan noise is allowed to escape).

Randall Schulz

< Previous Next >