Re: [SLE] SuSE 10.2 Beta 1 DVD torrent
  • From: Geoffrey <esoteric@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2006 15:03:33 +0000 (UTC)
Clayton wrote:
> I'm on cable internet... minimum guaranteed 12500kbps, and I was
> seeing DL rates up to 1.8G/s.

I'd be curious to know where you are and what provider guarantees a
minimum service.

I may have phrased that poorly... My ISP states that I have a
12500kbps up and 128kbps down. In reality they give me more. On a
semi regular basis I see the top end of both up and down speeds
increasing. I started out with 10000kbps and they
slowly/incrementally bumped me (unofficially) to 12500. Then months
later they rolled out an advertising campaign announcing that they
were providing 12500 to everyone. Since then my top end download
speed is slowly edging towards 20000kbps, and I expect to see an
announcement sometime to the effect that they are officially offering
20000kbps.

So what I meant by stating a minimum of 12500 is simply that they
advertise that's what you get, but in reality I get more.

The ISP is Casema (cable internet) in the Netherlands.

Thanks. My point was that there is not one provider in the USA that will guarantee any speed, cable or dsl. All they tell you is you can get 'up to' NNNN Mb. Thanks for the clarification.

--
Until later, Geoffrey

- Benjamin Franklin