Re: [opensuse] redistributing opensuse openoffice package
  • From: Andreas Hanke <andreas.hanke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 10:30:58 +0200
Hi,

Jordi Massaguer i Pla schrieb:
> It would be nice if Novell was writing somewhere where does trademarks are.

In order to write this down somewhere or publish a list of trademark
occurances, such a list would have to exist in the first place.

And I doubt something like that exists - not even a list of places where
"SUSE Linux" had to be replaced by "openSUSE" exists.

Someone would have to go through all packages manually, and that's
exactly what happened for the "SUSE Linux" -> "openSUSE" switch. And
that is something derived distros can very well do themselves, too,
since Novell does it the same way.

> That way, it would be easier to make distros based on OpenSuSE, as OpenSuSE
> is a too general purpose distro for many people. In my opinion, that would
> increase the popularity of OpenSuSE. Otherwise, other distros may be used
> instead of OpenSuSE for that purpose.

Hm, it seems that most Fedora-derived distros managed to identify and
remove all the trademarks themselves ;-)

I think you're demanding quite a lot here: Making life easier for
derived distros is not core interest of the openSUSE project.

As for the OpenOffice.org packages, it's really trivial because the
branding is added during the build with a build system switch. You can't
distribute the unmodified binary package anyway because of binary
compatibility issues.

Andreas