SPAM: Re: SPAM: Re: SPAM: Re: [opensuse] SPAM: Text mode at boot time
  • From: Anders Johansson <andjoh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2006 01:04:13 +0200
On Sat, 2006-10-14 at 18:45 -0400, Carl Hartung wrote:
> On Saturday 14 October 2006 18:18, Anders Johansson wrote:
> > On Sat, 2006-10-14 at 23:48 +0200, Bjørn Lie wrote:
> > > @jdd and Carl
> > > Did any of you 2 notice that the subject-line said: Text mode at boot
> > > time?
> > >
> > > @Cristea Bogdan
> > >
> > > type init 3 at grub bootloader (assuming you are using grub, and not
> > > lilo or an other bootloader)
> >
> > "init" is superfluous, all you need to type is "3"
>
> Why are we always compelled to stretch simple, single question posts out with
> so many superfluous posts?!
>
> The OP's message (not subject line) indicated a desire that the default
> runlevel be set to 3 instead of 5. I didn't want or need to assume the OP
> knew vi or felt comfortable editing config files as many of us are... and,
> again, he asked a simple question and I provided an easy 'point and click'
> answer suitable for most newcomers. And yes, "init 3" or just "3" works at
> the grub boot menu, but it's a real headache to forget doing that at every
> third or fourth boot, which I would be prone to doing.

Technically, the correct, non-superfluous answer to the original
question is "yes, there is".

These aren't simple question-answer lists, they are discussion forums.
The original poster finds out what he wants to know, and other pieces of
information lead to knowledge for others as well. Is that so bad?