Re: [opensuse] I need opensuse 8.1
  • From: Felix Miata <mrmazda@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 08 Oct 2006 17:28:06 -0400
On 06/10/08 15:48 (GMT-0500) Rajko M apparently typed:

> On Sunday 08 October 2006 14:34, Felix Miata wrote:

>> The first OpenSUSE version was 10.0.

> You used OpenSUSE as a word, not as expression "open SUSE".
> While I'm not sensitive is it OpenSUSE or openSUSE, I see the difference
> between word and phrase.

> Open participation, free iso's etc. is not required for distro to be open.
> If you would say:"Version 10.0 was open because there was no proprietary
> software in it.", I'll accept that as fact, and said that you are right, as
> many times before.

> The fact is that SUSE, SuSE and S.u.S.E. were de facto free long time before
> 10.0, but contained proprietary YaST, that made them not open distribution.

My point was about the timing of Novell's announced association of the word
"open" with the word "suse", however they might be cased or punctuated or
concatenated. I don't think there were any mirrors with an opensuse
directory in their trees until after that association began, which happened
for version 10.0. I characterize that as post-9.3, even if it may have been
announced and pre-alpha work begun before that time.

To me, "open" as applied to SUSE is just so many extra nuisance characters
to type in an URL. It's still essentially SUSE or SuSE or S.U.S.E. or
whatever started life so many years ago in DE before Novell got their
ruinous noses to mucking around with it, sucking the high (German) quality
away just like they did with their other shining star acquisitions (e.g.
WordPerfect). With any luck and help from the help of the "open" community,
Novell won't succeed in killing this gem.
--
"The Lord is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in him,
and I am helped." Psalm 28:7 NIV

Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409