Re: [opensuse] 10.1 RC1 to final by updating RPMs?
  • From: Robert Schiele <rschiele@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2006 11:26:08 +0200
On Mon, Oct 02, 2006 at 10:14:22AM +0200, Andreas Jaeger wrote:
> Robert Schiele <rschiele@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
> > No, you don't. You updated the db package (which is definitely part of the
>
> That's a bug ;-(

This is what I am saying for years now but received only really stupid answers
internally".

> We rebuild that often that people often asked: What's the difference
> between version -9 and -20? And we have to answer: Just rebuild with
> newer packages. It would be great to only increase the number if a

So what you are basically saying is that you fear that some people ask
quetions and prefer incorrectness of the system over just answering these
questions? Didn't expect you to be that reclusive.

> dependend package changes the ABI.

Well, until you did implement that just expect _every_ rebuild to result in an
ABI change. If you expected the ABI not to change you wouldn't need to
rebuild.

> So, neither solution is really good.

Huh? What is the real _problem_ with just telling the truth that the package
number increased due to a dependency rebuild?

> Could you file a bugreport against basesystem, please? I'll take care
> of it and discuss with Rudi once he's back from vacation how to
> finally solve this.

Ok, did so now. Is there also a chance that this discussion will not again
take place completely behind the curtain without getting any resons for the
final decision.

Robert

--
Robert Schiele